Monday, June 16, 2008

Shooting CS in the foot ..

So, the theme for SIGCSE 2008, Diversity through Accessibility (and this continuing blog) served the conference well, helping to bring out experts in two related camps and hope they talk, connect, and explore. Well, I just logged in this morning, and this post (warning: this "joke" may offend; it did me) from a blog I subscribe to appeared and just threw me -- I think most of the "people of SIGCSE" would be stunned as well, but this is just a reminder of how such issues of culture and (mis)perception can have lasting and negative impact. This type of comment hurts both access and diversity.

Perhaps some may read and think that I am making a mountain out of a molehill -- in fact, I am trying to turn this molehill/mountain into a level playing field.

++

Addendum: for more evidence of the impact of such "bad form", see this recent article on the observation that about 52% of women in IT leave the field, many citing "sexual harassment" and other demeaning treatment/attitudes (63% reported) -- yikes :-(

2 comments:

Alfred Thompson said...

The worst part of it is that the moderators rated it a 5 for funny.

I wonder if that comment was a reaction to this post - http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/slashdot/eqWf/~3/312994325/article.pl - that talks about women being better programmers than men. A lot of people, especially too many young men, get really defensive when it is suggested that they are not doing things to best way possible.

Anonymous said...

Buying memory is such a chore... You have to Google prices, filter through which ones are genuine, go out to a bunch of stores,compare prices, finally buy your memory, and then fervently pray that the price doesn't drop in the next 2 weeks or so.

I've been f'd over by some ridiculous price drops in the past... especially this one time when I bought a Micro SD card for my R4 gaming flash card at what I mistakenly assumed was a bargain price, only to later see that it had dropped $5 in a week.

(Posted from Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.livejournal.com/398.html]R4i SDHC[/url] NetBrowze)