Friday, September 13, 2013

A disturbing way of thinking ...

I was forwarded a somewhat disturbing article today, read it, and tried to suspend my opinion as much as I could; fortunately, the comments were refreshingly honest, and more in my corner.  Full disclosure, I am the product of 16 years of Catholic education, and never heard anything like this article before from my schools -- furthermore, it was always the case, at least for the first eight years, that the women (then girls :) in the class not only were very successful, but had they not attended college, then the world would have suffered a major loss. For example, one is a full professor at an Ivy League school, the other a (or should it be "an"?) university Dean.  And there are many more.  I feel having them in the class pushed me and all the other students.

I regret the opportunity cost of the thinking implicit in the original article. That is why we need to explicitly pursue diversity; it's not just fair, it's better.

No comments: