Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Take Me Out To The Ballgame ...

The SIGCSE community works in many ways, some not so "conventional" -- for example, Jeff Salvage, CS professor at Drexel University and SIGCSE attendee, asked me to participate in his recent marriage proposal to his girlfriend Jen. The plot involved a trip to Yankee Stadium in NYC where I would present myself as Brian Cashman, a member of the Yankee's Front Office. I would invite Jen, not really a Yankee's fan, to become a true member of the franchise/family and offer her a Yankee's cap (that would contain the ring) -- I am not making this up.

Well, I arrived at Yankee Stadium early on WED, August 15, and stood in line for Monument Park inside the Stadium. The line was so long that I could not make it to the actual proposal, so Jeff went ahead without me -- thanks goodness, I was a little nervous handling the ring.

So, you may be asking, did Jen accept Jeff's proposal? Or was it a long ride home to Philly? I believe the photo provide a clue :-).

Jeff (no sunglasses) and Jen, with Jamie (sunglasses) and me.

For the record, Yankees lost to the Orioles 4-3 in ten innings (I stayed for seven).

Do you have a SIGCSE adventure? Please feel encouraged to post your SIGCSE story!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Epilogue: Jen and Jeff are to be married on Easter Island during the time of the SIGCSE 2008 conference -- so far the best reason I have heard to miss SIGCSE 2008 -- best wishes, JD