Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ada Lovelace Day 2009

Well, today is Ada Lovelace Day, arguably the first programmer, certainly one of the first to appreciate the potential of algorithms -- I was able to note her contributions briefly in my song about the World of Computing, complete lyrics and recording here:

... Ada Lovelace understood
That Babbage's machine was good ...

Anyway, we were all asked by Barbara Boucher Owens, current president of SIGCSE and role model for women in computing in her own right, to post a blog entry about a role model for women in computing.

That's easy -- especially when I think back on the success, and the skill and effort needed, for SIGCSE 2008, my choice for Ada Lovelace Mentor would be Susan Rodger, Professor of the Practice of Computer Science at Duke University (photo right).

Susan and I co-chaired SIGCSE 2008, so I have worked with her often remotely but consistently throughout 2007 and the start of 2008. Her "pleasant persistence" resulted in many contributions to SIGCSE 2008, including new corporate supporters, a day care center/kid's camp, conference bags, and even SIGCSE cookies.

Susan's contributions to computing education are many, including
Personally, Susan possesses the temperament and drive needed by anyone to succeed in any profession, yet is very approachable and willing to mentor.

Thanks for the chance to promote my former co-chair's (and current friend) accomplishments for Ada Lovelace Day, as well as embarrass her I'm sure :-) -- JD

No comments: